The wonderful thing about sauteed or roasted root vegetables is that you can mix and match any combination you like. If you don’t like carrots, leave them out; If you like squash, toss it in. You can use pearl onions or cut regular onions; keep the garlic whole or chop it. The only rule is that if you are going to add beets, you must roast or sautee them in another pan and add them to the dish prior to serving, otherwise you will discolor your other vegetables.
Thinking About: Sautéed Root Vegetables:
- 2 large Russet Potatoes (skin on)
- 2 Red Potatoes (skin on)
- 2 Sweet Potatoes (peeled)
- 1/2 small Onion (cut into eighths)
- 1 Celeriac Root (peeled/large dice)
- 2 large Carrots (peeled)
- 1/2 lb. Mushrooms (brushed clean/quartered)
- 2 large Parsnips (peeled)
- 2 cloves Garlic (minced)
- Fresh Sage, Parsley, Rosemary, and Thyme (minced together)
- 4 oz. Unsalted Butter (melted) You may use olive oil or vegetable oil instead
- 6 oz. Red Wine (Merlot)
- Salt & Pepper (to taste)
- Scrub unpeeled Potatoes with vegetable brush, cut all Potatoes into eighths.
- Remove all outer skin of Celeriac Root, and discard tops.
- Cut Celeriac, Carrots and Parsnips into 1″ chunks.
- Place melted Butter in large baking dish, add Salt, Pepper, Sage, Rosemary, Thyme, Parsley and Garlic.
- Add vegetables and Wine…Stir with large spoon to coat.
- Bake at 400•f for 30 minutes, or until vegetables are soft enough to pierce easily with a paring knife.
- Serve hot