- Vegetable oil (preferably one with a high smoke point)
- 1 large Egg (lightly beaten)
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 3/4 cup Stoneground Cornmeal
- 4 Soft-shell Crabs (cleaned)
- 1/2 cup A/P Flour
- Salt & Pepper (to taste)
- 4 (6-inch) Baguettes (split/toasted)
- Green-leaf Lettuce Leaves
- 8 Heirloom Tomato slices
1. Pour oil to depth of 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch in a large skillet; heat to 375°.
2. Whisk together Egg and Milk in shallow bowl. Stir together Cornmeal, Salt & Pepper (to taste) in another shallow bowl.
3. Dredge crabs in Flour, dip in Egg mixture, and dredge in cornmeal mixture. Cook crabs in hot oil, in 2 batches, about 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
4. Layer inside of rolls with Lettuce, Tomato, and fried Crab…If desired, spread bread with Mayonnaise or Garlic Aioli
as an alternative, you might want to serve the sandwich with a crispy cole-slaw.