Som Tam (Vietnamese Green Papaya Salad)
This cold salad is prepared with a mortar and pestle. the ingredients are pounded to mix and release flavor, but not to create a puree.
- 3 oz. Green Papaya (seeds removed/ sliced into long stringy shreds) allow to rest in cold water as you prepare the rest of the salad.
Pound to a light paste, with mortar & pestle:
- 2 cloves fresh Garlic
- 3-5 Thai Chiles (depending on the degree of spiciness you prefer)
- 1 Tablespoon Dried Shrimp
- 2 raw Japanese Long Beans (cut to 2-3 inch pieces)
- 3-4 Cherry Tomatoes (sliced in half)
Drain papaya and add to mixture.
- 1/2 Tab. Sugar
- 1.5 Tabs Fish Sauce
- 1.5 Tabs fresh Lime Juice
Using mortar & pestle, gently bruise Long Beans (gently push until the are flat, but not pulp) Combine all ingredients in a medium mixing bowl, and hand blend to marry all of the flavors.
Let Som Tam rest 10-15 minutes in refrigerator.
Plate in cold bowl
Top with chopped Oven Roasted Peanuts as garnish