Thinking About: Split Pea Soup
- 2 oz. Bacon (cut into 1/4″ slices)
- 2 oz. Sweet Onion (small dice)
- 3 oz Leeks (small dice)
- 1 oz. Celery (small dice)
- 1 oz. Carrot (small dice) (Small Dice: 1/4″ X 1/4″ X 1/4″ cubes)
- 16 oz. Split Peas (soaked & drained)
- 32 oz. Chicken Stock
- 16 oz. Water
- 1 Ham Hock or Smoked Turkey Leg
- 1 small Sachet: 1 sprig Thyme 1 sprig Parsley 1 Bay Leaf 3 whole Peppercorns 1 whole Clove (Sachet Instructions: Make a small bouquet of the thyme and parsley. Lay bouquet on a piece of cheesecloth. Add bay leaves, peppercorns and cloves. Wrap bundle so none of the seasonings will fall out, and tie it closed with clean kitchen twine. Note: Remove and discard the sachet when the stock has finished cooking)
- Kosher Salt & Pepper
In a 3 quart saucepan, render (gently cook Bacon to liquefy fat, do not rush this process) Bacon over medium low heat until crisp.
Remove Bacon, reserve Fat in pan.
Cook Onions, Leeks, Celery, and Carrot in remaining Bacon Fat, stirring constantly until lightly browned.
Add Split Peas and toss in Fat to warm completely.
Cover with Stock & Water. Add Ham Hock or Turkey Leg, and Sachet, bring to simmer for 90 minutes (add more Water, if needed).
Layer each addition with a small pinch of Sugar, Kosher Salt & Pepper.
When done, remove Ham Hock or Turkey Leg. Rectify (adjust) Seasoning Sprinkle with reserved crispy Bacon.