One would be hard pressed to find anyone who doesn’t love macaroni and cheese. Our 40th president, Ronald Reagan, was no exception. In addition to his famous love for jelly beans, the president also loved mac & cheese. The following is the former President’s favorite macaroni and cheese recipe. The recipe is taken from The White House Family Cookbook by H. Haller and V. Aronson.
1/2 pound macaroni
1 tablespoon butter
1 egg, beaten
3 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
1 cup warm milk
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
a pinch of paprika
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 2-quart casserole dish.
2. Add macaroni to 2 quarts of boiling salted water and cook for 10 minutes.
3. Drain well in a colander. Transfer to a mixing bowl.
4. Stir in butter and beaten egg. Add 2 1/2 cups of the grated cheese.
5. In a small bowl, combine milk with salt, mustard and Worcestershire sauce.
6. Spoon macaroni and cheese into the prepared casserole. Pour milk mixture over and sprinkle top with the remaining cheese.
7. Sprinkle with paprika. Bake on middle shelf of preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes, or until macaroni is firm to the touch and the top is crusty and browned.
8. Serve at once, either as a light entree accompanied by a hot green vegetable and a crisp salad, or as a side dish with Hamburgers or Meat Loaf.